Letters of Reprimand


Letter of Reprimand (LOR)

A Letter of Reprimand (LOR), also known as a Memorandum of Reprimand (MOR), is an administrative tool used by commanders to identify and correct conduct or behavior that fails to meet military standards. Any type of unfavorable information may be recorded in an LOR.

If you have received an LOR, you have the right to speak with Trial Defense Services.
Click here to submit a Request for Counsel.


Frequently Asked Questions

Question: Where is an LOR filed?

Answer: Under Army Regulation (AR) 600-37, Chapter 3, an LOR may be filed in either your Military Personnel Records Jacket (MPRJ) or your Official Military Personnel File (OMPF).

An LOR filed in your MPRJ may remain there for up to three years or until you are reassigned to a new general court-martial jurisdiction, whichever is sooner. The LOR must state the length of time it is to be filed. The authority to issue LORs and direct MPRJ filing is as set forth next:

Any LOR, regardless of who issued it, may be filed in your OMPF by order of a general officer senior to you or an officer with general court-martial jurisdiction over you. All LORs filed in the OMPF are filed on the Performance fiche (P-fiche). Restricted fiche filing is not authorized by the regulation. Unfavorable information filed in your P-fiche remains there permanently unless you successfully appeal or petition to have the information removed.

Question: Can I respond to the allegations in the LOR before it is filed?

Answer: Yes. You will be given a copy of the LOR for rebuttal and comment before a filing determination is made. You will be allowed a reasonable tim(usually 7-10 days) to prepare and submit your response. You will have the opportunity to consult with an attorney for assistance with your rebuttal statement. You may and probably will need to request an extension of time to consult with a JAG and prepare your rebuttal.

Question: How should I respond?

Answer: You may make a written statement to deny, rebut, explain, or mitigate (excuse) the LOR. Your defense counsel may give you a sample memorandum and general guidance, but ultimately it is your responsibility to draft and submit the rebuttal.

Question: An LOR has been filed in my MPRJ. Can I appeal?

Answer: No formal process exists for removing an LOR from your MPRJ. However, you may nonetheless submit a memorandum to the commander who made the filing determination requesting that it be removed.

Question: An LOR has been filed in the performance section of my OMPF. Can I appeal?

Answer: Yes. You may request that it be removed from your OMPF or transferred from the performance record to the restricted portion of the OMPF.

Question: Where can I learn more about LOR rebuttals and the appeals process?

Answer: AR 600-37, Chapter 3, discusses letters of reprimand in detail.